Alternative House is currently recruiting for the positions(s) listed below. For information on how to apply for a job at Alternative House, please visit our Employment Application page.
Please note that all Alternative House employees must undergo one or more background checks, successfully pass a drug screening test, and possibly show evidence of a negative TB test conducted in the six months prior to being hired.
Alternative House is an equal opportunity employer.
FT Case Manager/Housing Locator
Alternative House is looking for a full-time case manager/housing locator to assist young adults at risk of and experiencing homelessness with obtaining suitable housing and case management. Responsibilities include outreach to young adults in the Reston/Herndon area, identifying appropriate living situations for clients, facilitating entry into housing placement, and ongoing case management and support. Collaboration with educational institutions, county social services personnel, and other non-profits to provide wrap-around services a must. Monthly reporting and statistics required. Transportation of clients may be required; some evenings required.
Experience in case management preferred; bilingual (English/Spanish) a plus. Ability to work independently a must.
Alternative House has been serving youth and families in Northern Virginia for 40 years and is dedicated to supporting safe and secure housing options for local youth. EOE.
To apply for this job, please send a cover letter and resume to Alternative House using one of the following methods:
· Mail to The Alternative House: ATTN: Case Manager Job, P.O. Box 694, Dunn Loring, VA 22027 OR
· Fax to 703.506.8949 OR
· Email as attachments to hyi_resumes@
Shelter Overnight Awake Counselor
Responsibilities for every shift –
Remain awake the entire shift
- Supervise the residents
- Supervising residents-
- Perform routine resident room checks every half an hour.
- Monitor client’s behavior, adaptability, adjustment, and social interactions.
- Administer medications as needed.
- Provide crisis intervention.
- Enforce program roles and policies.
- Oversee resident’s preparation and transportation to school.
- Maintain Safe, Secure, Healthy Environment-
- Follow health and safety checklist each evening.
- Complete all tasks on overnight checklists.
- Light maintenance of shelter.
- Organize donations.
- Provide case management.
- Use emergency procedure guidelines and contact the on-call supervisor in the event of an emergency.
- Follow Alternative House guidelines concerning the reporting of abuse, confidentiality, corporal punishment and grievances.
- Maintain accurate client records, reports and statistics.
- Data entry.
- Quality assurance of medication distribution and documentation.
Meetings and Other Duties as Assigned –
- Attend supervision meetings provided by Program Coordinator.
- Participate in Alternative House training sessions.
- Other duties as required.
- Supervised by Program Coordinator
Time required: 30 hours
- BA in social work or related field or commensurate with experience.
- Ability to work with adolescents and volunteers.
- CPR and First Aid Certification and Crisis Prevention training
- Background investigation required prior to employment
- Valid Drivers License and evidence of insurability for obtaining auto insurance
Pay: $14.00 hrly
Send resume and cover letter to and or Fax: (703) 506-8949 or email email@example.com
No phone calls please
- Relief Counselor—Shelter
Relief Counselors work at our crisis shelter for teens in Vienna, VA. BA in counseling, social work or related field required. Exp. w/ teens pref. Responsibilities will include: coach and supervise residents; conduct individual coaching session and psycho educational groups; maintain a safe, secure, and healthy living environment; conduct client intakes and discharges, provide case management; thoroughly document resident files, and answer crisis hotline calls. Self-starter, high energy, well organized, multi-tasker. Relief Counselors are contacted whenever there is an open shift available and are expected to work a minimum of one shift a month. Shifts generally available are Monday – Friday 3:30-11:30pm, Saturday and Sunday 8:30pm-4:30pm or 3:30-11:30pm
Great Position for a Graduate Student! . EOE. Salary $11.50 an hour. Send resume and cover letter to and or Fax: (703) 506-8949 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
NO PHONE CALLS PLEASE
Program: Assisting Young Mothers (AYM)
Position: Program Associate (PA)
The Alternative House’s Assisting Young Mothers (AYM) program is a transitional living program for women who are 18 to 21 years old, pregnant or parenting, homeless, and living with mental health issues. Women and their children live in townhomes with other residents and work with staff to achieve greater independence.
- Manage incoming donations and storage areas
- Conduct daily chore and curfew checks
- Clean and prepare townhouses and rooms for new residents
- Assist with property management
- Assist with childcare
- Transport residents to and from program appointments
- Shop for program and household needs
- Interact with residents and their children while setting a positive example
- Assist with case management duties
- On-call responsibilities on a rotating basis
- Occasional after-hours house checks
- Ability to transport residents in personally owned car
- Have a good driving record
- Ability to work evenings and on-call
- High school diploma or GED
- Some college in a human service field preferred
- Employment contingent on results of background checks
- 20 hours / week
- Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday evenings
- Scheduled shifts begin between 3:00pm and 6:00pm (depending on program needs)
- Scheduled shifts end at 9:30pm
- On-call / occasional after-hours time as needed
Pay: $12/hour EOE
To apply - email resume to email@example.com